Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Creative Habit


I just finished reading The Creative Habit, by Twyla Tharp. It was a quick read about how she, a famous ballet choreographer, maintains and improves her creativity. Here's what I took from the book:

  1. Getting started with your creative endeavor on any given day is hard. Create a routine that kickstarts your creative process without having to think about it. I know I have a hard time getting started with my watercolor painting. Even though I love the process once I get going, I seemed to get sidetracked so easily. Suddenly laundry seems appealing.
  2. Practice. Practice. Practice. But with purpose.
  3. Work on the aspects of your creative endeavor that you're not good at. I've got lots to work on.
  4. Find out what your creative DNA is and work with it, not against it. When it comes to photography, I naturally gravitate toward macro shots. I'm interested to see if I prefer up close images when it comes to watercolor painting.
  5. Skill is the basis to execute. This is exactly why I'm taking my watercolor class.
There's plenty more in the book too.

No comments:

Post a Comment